Who We Are & What We Do
- The John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute at Duke University (FHI) generates innovative models of interdisciplinary humanities research, education, and engagement.
- One of Duke’s six University Institutes, the FHI is a leading voice in national and international conversations on the future of the humanities in higher education and in society.
- Our signature Humanities Labs are designed for collaborative work by students, scholars, and communities to transform idea into impact.
- The ethos of preserving and activating world humanities traditions fuels invention in FHI’s digital humanities and other initiatives.
- John Hope Franklin’s legacy of local/global scholarship on race, equity, and human rights anchors our evolving humanistic inquiry.