RTI International 60th Anniversary Commemoration
Nearly sixty years ago, a group of visionaries from the North Carolina business, government and education sectors had a bold idea. These leaders envisaged a vibrant, transformative research community anchored by Duke University, North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In 1958 the centerpiece of Research Triangle Park, RTI (then known as the Research Triangle Institute), was formed to inspire graduates of North Carolina institutions of higher education to remain in the state and provide research services for government and business clients.
Today, RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. The essence of our mission at RTI—a mission we share with our clients—is to make the world a better place. We apply rigorous research methods and science-based solutions to complex challenges facing people and communities around the world.
Our staff of more than 5,000 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis. (Our annual report conveys the depth and breadth of our project work: http://annualreport.rti.org/). Headquartered in Research Triangle Park, NC, we maintain offices in the United States and around the world to support our ongoing projects and changing client needs.
RTI International will retain a team of Duke Story+ students to help shape story-making across disciplines in advance of its upcoming 60th anniversary commemoration and celebration.
This research would be invaluable for use in presentations and publications. Eventually, this research could result in one or more of the following:
- Written document, interactive timeline, or exhibit conveying RTI contributions to RTP and NC
- Written document or interactive timeline, or exhibit communicating the impact of women leaders at RTI
- Written document or interactive timeline, or exhibit drawing attention to the history of university collaborations at RTI.
During the Summer of 2017, members of the Duke Story+ student team will be expected to accomplish the following:
- Understand the goals and objectives of the RTI’s 60th Anniversary Committee and the related Office of Public Relations and Corporate Communications work plan
- Familiarize themselves with the existing secondary literature, including materials relating to the 50th anniversary commemoration
- Conduct some preliminary oral interviews with key stakeholders
- Inventory related materials housed at North Carolina State University, Duke University and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill special collections libraries and begin researching primary sources
- Meet with members of RTI’s 60th Anniversary Committee
- Begin to develop “My RTI Stories”
About the Client Organization/Faculty
RTI’s Dr. Jacqueline Olich, Director of University Collaborations and a member of the Versatile Humanists at Duke Advisory Committee, will meet regularly with and advise members of this Story+ Team.
As a final deliverable, members of this Duke Story+ will present their recommendations to RTI’s senior leadership, including members of RTI’s 60th Anniversary Committee, notably Ms. Lisa May, Executive Vice President, Human Resources and Ms. Kami Spangenberg, Senior Director, Communications.
- Ability to interact with, influence, and act on multiple internal and external organizational levels; possess a strong collaborative mindset and global perspective.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to research, organize, and document.
- Ability to follow through and meet deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and engender trust.
- Demonstrate a proactive attitude and flexible approach that combines energy, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn.