Job Opportunity: Graduate Student Events Assistant
The Franklin Humanities Institute seeks a detail-oriented graduate student to provide support for events in its signature series (tgiFHI, In the Press, etc) for the Spring 2020 semester (with the possibility of renewal). The Events Assistant will work up to 8 hours a week writing, designing, and disseminating flyers and other event promotions; compiling event information for the FHI newsletter; and providing logistical support to speakers (arranging parking, providing A/V support) as well as onsite event management.
The graduate student in this position will learn the how-tos of successful event planning and promotion in a university context, and may be eligible to apply for FHI funding to conceptualize and organize their own events. Additionally, there will be opportunities to gain experience related to public scholarship (i.e., writing for broader publics).
Hours are flexible, but the student should plan to be available at least 1-2 hours a week during regular business hours (9am-5pm, M-F) to meet with the FHI Program Coordinator and/or FHI Director, as well as 8:30am-11:30am on Friday mornings. Occasional evening hours may be required.
Duties for this position include:
- Updating flyers with event information (Photoshop) and distributing through list servs
- Writing event descriptions
- Adding events to Duke Calendar and the FHI Website
- Compiling and adding event information to the FHI newsletter (Mailchimp)
- Writing and scheduling social media posts (Facebook, Twitter)
- Liaising with speakers to provide logistical support
- Providing onsite event support (setup, meeting caterers, break-down)
- Possibly writing blogs and/or other content for the FHI website
Candidates for this position should have the following experience/skills:
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Some experience with CMS (e.g., Wordpress, Drupal) preferred
- Social media experience (Facebook, Twitter) preferred
- Some knowledge of graphic design program (Photoshop or Illustrator) preferred
- Ph.D. students in the humanities STRONGLY preferred
Resumes and brief letters of interest should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “FHI Graduate Student Events Assistant.” Pay will be commensurate with experience.