Teaching for Equity Fellows Applications Open!
Deadline: May 9, 2018
Teaching for Equity Fellows is a year-long series of workshops that give faculty tools to better engage all students in our classrooms, labs, and learning spaces. The workshops are specifically designed to address a number of teaching and mentoring topics that may arise around race and identity. Faculty fellows gain specific skills and strategies to create a culture that improves learning for all our students. The Duke Human Rights Center at the Franklin Humanities Institute developed the program, and it is sponsored by Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, the Office for Faculty Advancement, and the School of Medicine and the School of Nursing.
The Fellowship includes a two-day framework session in August or September, and seven monthly four-hour workshops that build skills and support your ability to improve culture, understand and work with students, and reflect on curriculum and inclusive teaching practices.
Benefits to Faculty Fellows
- Learn concrete skills and strategies to strengthen your ability to teach and support students from diverse backgrounds;
- Develop knowledge on how to handle challenging topics around race and identity that may arise in learning environments;
- Acquire teaching skills and resources that will bolster faculty learning and professional development;
- Enhance your teaching abilities by building curricular design and discussion facilitation skills;
- Develop a deep awareness about student experience in Duke classrooms;
- Create syllabi that promote successful learning for all of your students;
- Gain a shared language and analytical framework about the dynamics of power, privilege, and oppression;
- Integrate equity practices in your classroom through curriculum and pedagogical practice;
- Gain a cohort of faculty to collaborate and network with in the future
Dates and Times for the 2018-2019 Cohorts
Introducing the Framework (there are two options)
August 13-14, 2017 – 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and 9 a.m. – 12 noon on the 15th OR
September 7 & 8 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monthly Sessions (The two options are Thursdays afternoons or Friday mornings)
Thursdays from 1-5 p.m. – September 27, October 25, November 29, 2018 & January 24, February 28, March 28, April 25, 2019 OR
Fridays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – September 28, October 26, November 30, 2018 & January 25, March 1, March 29, April 26, 2019
Application Deadline – May 9, 2018